The Freedom Network
The Freedom Network is a national alliance of advocates and organizations that take a comprehensive and holistic approach to combating human trafficking. The breadth and depth of their work is evident in factsheets that recognize the “poverty and economic injustice, racism, gender-based discrimination, and political strife” that underlie human trafficking. Established in 2001 by people hailing from an array of backgrounds—immigration, children and victim rights, social services, farm worker advocacy, and human rights activism—the Network’s mission is predicated on a human rights-based approach because, in its view, trafficking violates individual fundamental rights and personal freedom. The Network engages in social justice advocacy, criminal and civil litigation, and regional training to help vindicate these rights.
View their website here: http://freedomnetworkusa.org
- Congratulations to Anne Gallagher for being awarded the Anti-Slavery Australia Freedom Award!
- The Unintended Consequences of Nick Kristof’s Anti-Sex Trafficking Crusade, Aziza Ahmed
- The High Cost of Freedom: A Legal and Policy Analysis of Shelter Detention for Victims of Trafficking by Anne Gallagher and Elaine Pearson
- Militarized Humanitarianism Meets Carceral Feminism: The Politics of Sex, Rights, and Freedom in Contemporary Antitrafficking Campaigns by Elizabeth Bernstein
- Florrie Burke, Freedom Network